Established in 1971, Modern American Recycling Services, Inc. (M.A.R.S., Inc.) was founded by “Butch” Dwight Caton. M.A.R.S. is the largest barge dismantler and offshore decommissioning provider in the United States with six locations worldwide. We are one of the top Environmental Services companies in the U.S. and have been recognized by Inc. Magazine as one of the fastest-growing privately held companies 5-time honoree since 2009.
M.A.R.S. has recycled more than 1,400,000 tons of offshore oil & gas structures and salvaged over 10,000 barges and more than 100 ships of various sizes.
As one of the largest recylers, we have performed over 800 off-loads, 750 material barge setups, clean-offs, off charters. Additionally, we have a large inventory of used marine equipment for sale and we buy and sell scrap steel. The company has been featured in Recycling Today for their innovation and advancement in oil platform recycling.
Know in the energy and maritime sector as a responsible rig and barge dismantler, M.A.R.S. Inc. has successfully performed jobs for companies such as: Chevron, Shell, XTO Energy, Hilcorp, Dynamic Offshore Resources, Nexen, W&T Offshore, Field Wood Energy, Apache, Taylor Energy, Freeport McMoran, Maritech, LLOG, Energy XXI, Transocean, J. Ray McDermot, Global Industries, Tetra, Bisso Marine, Ensco among others.
Recently the company has expanded its scope of offerings with the opening of the new North Sea large scale recycling facility at the Port of Frederikshavn in Denmark. M.A.R.S. also acquired a gulf coast shipyard to provide ship repair, conversions, and overhaul of maritime vessels, including tankers, dredges, ATBs, tugs, and barges.
Company-wide we are guided by our motto, Recyclers Who Care About Your Future. Our management team and workers are committed to quality, safety, and preserving the natural environment. To our customers, we provide quality demolition and recycling services while protecting the environment and maintaining a safe working environment for our people.
- 1971: Modern American Recycling Services, Inc. (M.A.R.S., Inc.) founded to perform barge, boat, ship demolition and recycling in the U.S.
- 2010: Opens new yard to accommodate demolition and recycling of offshore oil & gas platforms, drilling rigs, and infrastructure in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico
- 2015: Purchased 1,000 short ton (S/T) Derrick Barge Pacific and expanded market capacity to include offshore platform removal operations
- 2017: Purchased 880 short ton (S/T) Derrick Barge Performance to continue with market expansion of offshore platform removal operations
- 2017: Executed 10-year lease agreement with Port of Frederikshavn to operate state-of-the-art, purpose-built ship and offshore platform recycling facility for the North Sea market
- 2018: Purchased 1,760 short ton (S/T) Derrick Barge Thor to continue with market expansion of offshore platform removal operations
- 2019: Acquired World Marine, LLC , expanding service offering to include ship repair and recycling at Mobile, Alabama facility, boasting over 4,400 feet of deep water access on the Mobile River as well as a Panamax-capacity floating dry dock. New location operates under the name Modern American Recycling & Repair Services, LLC (M.A.R.R.S.)
- 2019: European large scale recycling and green maritime onshore decommissioning, scrapping, recycling and regulated waste management facility opens in Frederikshavn, Denmark